The Club's origins began in September 1934, when a group of nine clubs, whose members were all part of the supervisory force of the Bethlehem Steel plant of Bethlehem, PA, petitioned the Commonwealth of PA to incorporate all 9 clubs into one non-profit corporation called the Bethlehem Steel Club. The Steel Club, as it came to be known, was originally formed to foster competitive sports, social interaction, good fellowship, and technical discussions. One of the nine founding clubs, the Sunshine Club, owned a property northeast of Hellertown Borough consisting of 12 acres and a stone farmhouse and this became the Steel Club's original club house.
In 1946, the Steel Club gained additional property adjacent to their existing club house location and hired a world-renowned course architect, Donald Ross, to design and build an 18-hole course. The facility was opened in 1948 as a par 71 course. This golf course is extremely notable, as it was one of the very last that Donald Ross has had a personal hand in designing and building because of his declining health. In 1958, a second tract of land was purchased, and an additional 9 holes were built.
On January 28, 1986, the club entered the second phase of existence, when it was officially named Silver Creek Country Club and became a private non-profit corporation under the management of its members.
In 2018, the Steel Club lives again, with new ownership and direction. The Steel Club team intends to build on past traditions and foster new ones as we embark on this exciting new chapter.